Bleaching powder is a calcium oxy-chloride and chemical formula is CaOCl2 also called chloride of lime.
- It is white powder that has strong smell of chlorine.
- It is soluble in cold water.
- CaOCl2 + H2SO4 produce CaSO4 + Cl2 + H2O
- The real bleaching agent is Cl2 that change colour of hair black to brown.
- It is used for disinfecting drinking water supply that make water germ free.
- It is used for manufacture of chloroform (CHCl3).
- It is used for making wool un-shrinkable.
- It is used for facial and also used in textile industries.