Amoeba is an aquatic protozoan that lives at bottom of fresh water pools and streams of water. It is microscopic organism. It occurs in water which has lot of vegetation, decaying organic matter and bacteria. It shows the holozoic nutrition. Process of obtaining food is called phagocytosis and various steps that involves in its digestion are:
- Ingestion: Amoeba ingests the food by help of pseudopodia. After ingestion of food particle it forms food vacuoles inside its body.
- Digestion: Food is digested in food vacuole by help of digestive enzymes due to which large molecules becomes converted into simpler form.
- Absorption: Digested food from vacuoles is directly absorbed into cytoplasm of Amoeba by process of dissension. After it food vacuoles become disappears.
- Assimilation: Absorbed food in cell of Amoeba is used to form energy through respiration. Remaining part of absorbed food used for growth of Amoeba. Thus grow in size and then reproduce.
- Egestion: Amoeba has no fixed place for removing of undigested part of food, when a considerable amount of food collects inside amoeba, then its cell membrane ruptures at any place and wastes thrown from it.