A change in which the composition of a substance is altered is called as chemical change of matter. As a result, the original properties get changed and one or more new substances are formed. Such as: rusting of iron, burning of magnesium ribbon, burning of a piece of paper, etc.
Characteristics Associated with Chemical Changes
- As a result of chemical change, the physical state of the substance may or may not change.
- There is always a change in the chemical compositions of the substance.
- There is also change in characteristics of the substance.
- New substances are always formed
- The chemical change is of permanent nature and cannot be easily reversed.