Plant breeding is an applied branch of botany which deals with the improvement of economically important plants. Performance of a crop or animal is mainly due to its genotype and the invironment in which it is growing environment represents all living and non-living factors surrounding an organism. Genotype is responsible for performance of an organism. Domestication is the process of bringing a species under human management.
NEEDS OF PLANT BREEDING
- Higher yield
- Better quality
- Diseases, insect and pest resistance.
- New varieties for particular environment.
- Requirement of specific traits like.
- Responsiveness to heavy manuring.
- Easy threshing ability.
- Ability to grow in different seasons.
DEVELOPMENT OF NEW VARIETIES
- Collection of variability.
- Evaluation and selection of parents.
- Cross hybridization among the selected parents.
- Selection and testing of superior recombinant.
- Testing, release and commercialization of new cultivars.